5.14.2011

Bring On The Bacon!!!

Who knew a cooking class could be SO much fun?!?! I've taken quite a few, and have enjoyed them all, but Niki Tehranchi at Eatz Cooking School in Los Angeles has brought cooking classes to a whole new level with her intimate dinner party setting approach.

Found out about Eatz on Daily Candy (or Dirty Candy as fellow class-goer, Albert, thought we said). My friend and I enjoyed an incredible Friday night cooking class - "Bring on the Bacon!" When I read about the class, I was sold after reading the title. I didn't care what we were cooking... if it was about bacon, I knew I would love it.


Eatz's space is fantastic! It's the perfect setting for an intimate dinner party... sophisticated, comfortable, eclectic and fun. I could live there! Niki brings a refreshing enthusiastic approach and a bubbly personality! I had a blast learning new recipes from her! There were 14 people in the class, all who crowded around a large rectangular table with eight prep stations. It was so fun to meet new people and swap tips, resto recos and tricks of the trade. And... the wine was flowing allllllllll throughout the class. Perfection!


I am salivating as I reread the night's dishes in the "Bring on the Bacon" cooking class.



First up were the Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Blue Cheese. So easy to make and so delicious. May sound like a weird combo, but the flavors meld together and taste like a piece of candy.



Next we made Bacon and Tuna Poke with Avocado over Crispy Wonton Wrappers. Delicious! While Niki taught each recipe she weaved in cooking techniques such as how to properly hold a knife, how to cut an onion and much more!





The Beer Steamed Clams with Bacon, Tomatoes, and Garlic were so easy to make and so amazing to eat. Great date night meal. I recommend grilling the bread before serving to heighten the dish even more.





Bacon Tempura with Smoky Chipotle Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce. Yes, you read that right. Fried. Bacon. Watch out!





The evening was rounded out with Bacon-Almond Brittle Dipped in Chocolate for dessert. Wow, oh wow. Delicious! I would probably add more bacon next time cause I didn't taste it as much as I wanted to.



I had an absolute blast at this rockin' dinner party even though I didn't know anyone when I arrived! Everything we made was delicious and not overwhelming to make. Will definitely be preparing these recipes again! I usually take cooking classes at Sur La Table, but I must say, Eatz classes far surpass SLT. They are much more hands on and I got to entirely make each dish we prepared. Niki and Carina were super fun and the class was full of fun, lively people. I will definitely be back to take more classes! I highly recommend!

Eatz. Los Angeles, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment