2.15.2012

I've Fallen For Freddy

I'm obsessed with Freddy Smalls Bar + Kitchen, which recently opened up in West LA near my pad. I love having cool spots to wet my whistle close by... and add good grub to that? Perfect-o!


Freddys is super cute inside. Loved the modern retro vibe, comfy booths and tall tables to perch at.



The menu boasts an assortment of delicious sounding cocktails. I ordered the Mayberry Smash, Death’s Door Gin, fresh berries, sage honey, lemon and a mint leaf garnish. I swapped the gin for vodka. Don't judge. 


Over the last few years, I've become a HUGE fan of brussel sprouts, specifically fried ones (hee hee).  Freddy's fried brussel sprouts with smoked goat cheese and apple cider glaze was savory and the touch of goat cheese seemed to bring the sprouts to life. This preparation is my favorite way to eat them (need to learn the recipe) and I have been dreaming about them ever since. They are slightly charred, full of flavor and melt in your mouth. Must. Have. Again. Soon.


Whenever burrata is on the menu, I'm ordering it. Tonight was no different. The artichoke buratta bruschetta was full of fresh refreshing flavors with the crunch of the toast that helped balance out the textures.


The mushroom and farrow stew was a perfect fall/winter dish. The farrow added a rich, substantial texture to the stew, paired with hearty mushrooms, to give it an overall earthy flavor experience. Definite comfort food.


House-smoked steelhead trout was just so so. I'm not a huge smoked fish fan so that's probably why the "so so" response. I was with a friend who was not eating meat, so we opted for the fish dishes. There were so many meat dishes that made me salivate. Must go back to try those ones!


Belgian waffles with grilled lady apple, bacon butter and bourbon maple syrup. Bacon butter. Seriously? Seriously.


Wish you were here? Me too!



Freddy Smalls Bar + Kitchen. Los Angeles, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment